venerdì 15 aprile 2022

Aforismi in lingua originale - La famosa lettera a Bentley, "parlare con Dio faccia a faccia..."

Inwardly speaking, I have had a funny time. A meaningless fit of depression, taking the form of certain absurd psychological worries, came upon me, and instead of dismissing it and talking to people, I had it out and went very far into the abysses, indeed. The result was that I found that things, when examined, necessarily spelt such a mystically satisfactory state of mind, that without getting back to earth, I saw lots that made me certain it is all right. The vision is fading into common day now, and I am glad. The frame of mind was the reverse of gloomy, but it would not do for long. It is embarrassing, talking with God face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend.


Gilbert Keith Chesterton to Edmund Clerihew Bentley, letter, Summer 1894, in Michael Ffinch, G. K.Chesterton: A Biography.

Nessun commento: