giovedì 26 luglio 2018

La lettera che mons. Robert Barron ha spedito a mons. Peter Doyle per appoggiare la causa di beatificazione di Chesterton

Bishop Peter Doyle,
As you may know, last year I produced an hour-long documentary on Chesterton for my Pivotal Players film series, which has already been seen by hundreds of thousands of people. Including Chesterton was an easy choice. I consider him a "pivotal player" because he's one of the most sparkling and effervescent figures in the great Catholic tradition. He embodies the wealth and capaciousness of Catholicism. Whenever someone suggests the Faith is something cramped, crabby, and puritanical, I encourage him to read even one paragraph of Chesterton.
For years, I've appreciated his love for paradox. I've enjoyed his puns, plays on words, and surprising reversals. I've read many of his books, with each experience like opening a bottle of champagne: intoxicating, sparkling, and rare.
Yet it's not just his style I admire; his effectiveness as an evangelist is what makes him uniquely compelling. His joyous, confident expression of orthodoxy remains an antidote to the prevailing skepticism, materialism, and cynicism of our time. He embodied the New Evangelization decades before that movement received its name.
I'm convinced G.K. Chesterton is a saint, and should be formally recognized as one. I ask for his intercession often. Over the years, I've especially requested his prayers for the media work of my Word on Fire ministry. Chesterton has a strong following among our Word on Fire staff, and he's been an important friend and touchstone for our movement....
But why is now the right time for his cause to move forward? First, I think, because as the world becomes increasingly secular—especially the West—Chesterton offers a healthy engagement with skepticism. He never smeared his opponents, never exchanged fire for fire, never used vulgarity. He loved his intellectual opponents and counted atheists among his closest friends (e.g., Shaw). We've lost the art of charitable religious argument, of "speaking the truth in love" (Eph 4:15), and Chesterton can help us recover it...
Finally, I don't know anyone who better exemplifies the evangelium gaudium, the joy of the Gospel so championed by the Holy Father. The sheer exuberance of his life hearkens back to Irenaeus: "the glory of the God is a human being fully alive." Chesterton was and remains fully alive, and at a time when many Christians seem defeated and uninspired, we need his bubbly joy about the Gospel, his verve and excitement to proclaim the uniqueness of Christ...
I hope that in my lifetime, we see G.K. Chesterton formally recognized for his heroic life and virtue. He doesn't need that title, but we need him. I believe he's a saint, and I offer my full support for his cause.
Peace,
Bishop Robert Barron
Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles 

Nessun commento: